¿How can you minimize the negative impacts on the ecosystem?
It's not common to think that tourism as an economic activity would have a high impact on the environment, however, a high flow of tourists generates most consumption of products and services, so requires more labor for its production, resulting in impacts negative as positive.
Over time, consumers have become increasingly concerned with reducing negative impacts on the environment and conducting sustainable tourism.
In this article you will find simple actions that will help you be a responsible traveler and save the environment:
- Take care of your garbage: Plastic disrupts the ecosystem and marine life. For this reason, we must begin to replace them with natural or recyclable products.
- Do not leave a trace: Preserve the fauna and flora of the places you visit and take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but your footprints.
- Be aware of your carbon footprint: You can help mitigate your carbon footprint with small actions such as:
- Save water.
- Turn off the lights when you don’t need them.
- Use environmentally-friendly transportation, such as cycling or walking to your destination.
- Stay in an environmentally sustainable hotel like Hotel Vilar América. Learn about our practices here.
- Be respectful of local traditions and customs: Take the time to learn about the culture of the place you will visit, this will allow you to understand behaviors, expressions, and rules used by the people who live there, you will avoid disrespecting or overlooking any important aspect.
- Avoid full touristic places: The most visited places could be damaged by the overtourism, like the beaches, most of the time are full of garbage that goes to the sea.
- Choose sustainable accommodation: Find out if the place where you stay seeks to improve the impact on the environment with sustainable practices.
- Buy in local business: In these places, you will pay less and help their employees keep their jobs.
We are an environmentally and socially responsible hotel
Hotel Vilar América as a tourism services company, is aware and committed in reducing the negative impacts within the industry, concerning environmental, socio-cultural and economic issues. For this purpose, it has developed programs for the efficient use of natural resources, the reduction of waste, and use of pollutants, the promotion of Colombian cultural heritage, support to local communities, and makes great efforts in the prevention of sexual exploitation of minors.
The Hotel strives to raise awareness among its staff and guests, it enforces legislation compliance, and respect for the rights of its employees, suppliers, customers and guests, within a framework for sustainable development.
Hotel Vilar América was one of the first seven hotels to be certified in Sustainability. It was awarded with the Colombian Environmental Seal, and recently in 2015, it obtained the certification at The Code.